The main difference between Zofran and Phenergan is that Zofran has Ondansetron HCL as its active pharmaceutical ingredient while Phenergan has Promethazine as its active pharmaceutical ingredient.
Zyrtec vs. Benadryl
Zyrtec contains cetirizine hydrochloride, on the other hand Benadryl contains diphenhydramine hydrochloride. Zyrtec belongs to second generation antihistamines while Benadryl is first generation antihistamines. Zyrtec causes less sleepiness, on the other hand, Benadryl causes more sleepiness. Zyrtec shows its pharmacological actions for 12-24 hours while Benadryl shows its pharmacological actions for 12 hours. Zyrtec is not prescribed for the treatment of hives, on the other hand, Benadryl is the best option for the treatment of hives. Zyrtec tablet, fast dissolving tablet and liquid are available, on the other hand, Benadryl talent, fast dissolving tablet, liquid and capsules are available. Zyrtec is administered as 5 to 10 mg as a single dose for adults, on the other hand, Benadryl is given at 25 to 50 mg as a single dose for adults. Zyrtec causes less fatigue, on the other hand,
|Zyrtec is the brand name for cetirizine hydrochloride and is used to treat allergies.||Benadryl is the brand name for diphenhydramine and is used to treat seasonal and other allergies.|
|2nd generation antihistamine||First generation antihistamine|
|active therapeutic agent|
|Cetirizine HCL||diphenhydramine hydrochloride|
|duration of action|
|12-24 hours||12 hours|
|Tablet, fast dissolving tablet and liquid||Tablet, fast dissolving tablet, liquid and capsule.|
|Allergic rhinitis, urticaria, dermatitis||Allergies, seasonal allergies including sneezing, itchy throat, and itchy, watery eyes|
Zyrtec is the trade name for cetirizine hydrochloride which is the 2ndgeneration antihistamine and belongs to the chemical class of piperazine. Zyrtec is used for many immediate hypersensitivity reactions such as allergic rhinitis, hives, and dermatitis. Zyrtec shows its therapeutic actions by blocking HI receptors. Zyrtec begins to show its pharmacological actions within an hour. The effects of Zyrtec’s pharmacological actions last for a day. The therapeutic benefits of Zyrtec are the same as those of diphenhydramine. Zyrtec causes drowsiness as a side effect, but its degree is less than that of first-generation antihistamines. Other side effects of Zyrtec include abdominal pain, headache, and dry mouth. Serious side effects of Zyrtec are angioedema and aggression. Pregnant women can use Zyrtec, but its use in nursing mothers is not recommended. Zyrtec is used in allergies because in allergies, redness is caused by histamine acting on H1 receptors, and because Zyrtec blocks these receptors, it doesn’t allow histamine to cause any further effects. Between all the other 2th generation of antihistamines the Zyrtec is the best option to treat acute or chronic hives. Zyrtec is available in 5, 10, and 20 mg tablets. When Zyrtec is discontinued after prolonged use, patients experience itching. Zyrtec is well absorbed after oral administration in both tablet and syrup form. Zyrtec does not interact with many drugs because it is not metabolized by the cytochrome P450 enzyme system. Zyrtec is metabolized through chemical reactions such as oxidation and conjugation. Zyrtec is eliminated from the body mainly in the urine and, to a lesser extent, in the faeces.
What is Benadryl?
- Zyrtec is a brand name of cetrizine hydrochloride, on the other hand Benadryl is a brand name of diphenhydramine hydrochloride
- Zyrtec is a second generation antihistamine, on the other hand, Benadryl is a first generation antihistamine.
- Zyrtec has a low tendency to induce sleep, while Benadryl has a high tendency to induce sleep.
- Zyrtec is not a better option to treat hives; on the other hand, Benadryl is a better option to treat hives.
- Zyrtec has a duration of action of 12 to 24 hours, while Benadryl has a duration of action of 12 hours.
- Zyrtec is available as a tablet, fast-dissolving tablet, and liquid, on the other hand, Benadryl is available as a tablet, fast-dissolving tablet, liquid, and capsule.
- The single dose of Zyrtec for adults is 5 to 10 mg, while the single dose of Benadryl for adults is 25 to 50 mg.
- Zyrtec causes less fatigue compared to Benadryl; on the other hand, Benadryl causes more tiredness compared to Zyrtec.
The main takeaway from the above discussion is that both Zyrtec and Benadryl are antihistamines and are used effectively to treat allergies.