The difference between these types of programs is who has control over the computer. DOS programs typically expect themselves to be the only program running on your computer, so they will directly implement hardware, such as writing to disk or displaying graphics on the screen. They can also rely on timing, since the computer will do nothing else to slow them down. Many games fall into this category. Windows programs, on the other hand, realize that they must share your computer with other Windows programs.
What is Windows 95?
Windows 95 (codenamed Chicago) is a consumer-oriented operating system developed by Microsoft. It was released on August 24, 1995, and was a significant development over the company’s previous Windows products.
What is TWO?
DOS /dɒs/, short for Disk Operating System, is an abbreviation for various computer operating systems that were operated using the command line. MS-DOS subjugated the IBM PC compatible market between 1981 and 1995, or until about 2000, partially including MS-Microsoft Windows DOS-based (95, 98 and Millennium Edition). “DOS” is used to describe the family of several very similar command line systems, including MS-DOS, PC DOS, DR-DOS, FreeDOS, ROM-DOS, OSx16, “Horizon OS”, and PTS-DOS.
- Windows practices a mouse or text for commands and displays items in separate windows or panes, while MS DOS is a functional operating system where you type a command and take it to function.
- Windows has graphics and DOS does not.
- DOS is a command line and Windows 95 is a GUI.
- DOS runs in real mode, while Win runs in protected kernel mode.
- DOS makes an 8086 look as fast as an 8086, while Windows 95 makes a Pentium seem as fast as an 8086.
- DOS offers less storage space compared to Windows.
- DOS and Windows also vary in terms of registry systems and swap files. Whereas DOS uses a directory system, where all files are contained within a particular directory or subdirectory, Windows uses a much more complicated registry system that makes it difficult to remove file material from the system, and excessive files can cause the system slows down or crashes. .
- DOS is powerless to run multiple processes at the same time. Whereas, Windows 95 is a multitasking operating system; allowing more than one process to run simultaneously.