Difference Between Sharp Cheddar and Smooth Cheddar
The main difference between Sharp Cheddar and Mild Cheddar is that Sharp Cheddar is spicy, aged for approximately 12 to 24 months and takes on the classic flavor, while Mild Cheddar is somewhat sweet followed by a strong flavor aged for approximately 2 to 3 months.
Strong Cheddar vs. Soft Cheddar
Strong cheddar cheese is considered to achieve the classic flavor of cheese around the world, while soft cheese is one of the least spicy and strong-tasting, also liked by some lovers of sweets.
Strong cheddar has found its name from the time it is aged for approximately 12 to 24 months and takes on a rich classic flavor; On the other hand, mild cheddar has found its name due to a mild, tangy taste with a slightly sweet taste and from the time it is aged for about 2 to 3 months. Strong cheddar cheese is tested for the bitterness of protein peptides in cheese as their level increases with age by enzymes that break down proteins; On the other side of the coin, soft cheese is less spicy and acidic due to its shorter aging time.
Strong cheddar cheese has a low moisture content and a crumbly texture; on the other hand, mild cheddar cheese has a high moisture content and a smooth texture. Strong cheddar cheese is difficult to melt due to its dry nature, while soft cheddar cheese is easy to melt due to its high moisture content. The nutritional content of strong cheddar cheese is approximately 110 calories with 9 g of fat and 7 g of protein, while the nutritional content of soft cheddar cheese is approximately 70 calories with 6 g of fat and 4 g of protein.
|Strong cheddar||Mild cheddar|
|Strong cheddar cheese is long-lasting, tangy, and strong in flavor with a dry, crumbled texture.||Mild cheddar cheese is less stale, sweet followed by acidity, high moisture content and smooth texture.|
|12-24 months||2 to 3 months|
|Strong, spicy and bitter||Less strong or sweet|
|Dry, it crumbles||Soft, wet, smooth|
|Hard to melt||Easy to melt even on the palate|
|High due to enzymes that break down proteins.||Less content due to less age|
|110 energy calories, 9 g fat, 7 g protein||70 calories, 6 g fat, 4 g protein|
What is Sharp Cheddar?
Strong cheddar is the type of cheddar that is classically purchased around the world for flavor. It is aged for more than 12 months up to approximately 24 months, which produces the sharpness of the flavor. Strong cheddar cheese, when aged for a time, then enzymes break down the proteins and fats present in the cheddar cheese. Proteins are converted to peptides as they are peptide bonds and thus increase the level of bitterness over time due to an increase in peptide content.
Strong cheddar cheese is dry and has a low moisture content, making it dry and difficult to melt. It cannot melt on the palate. Strong cheddar cheese has a texture that is dry and brittle, and it is also the factor that makes it difficult to melt. Strong cheddar cheese has a strong, bitter taste with a spicy flavor, which also gives it a nutty flavor. Strong cheddar over time of aging converted to calcium lactate, which are the hard, salt-like crystals that give it a deeper, more acidic flavor.
Pasteurized milk, a mesophilic starter culture of cheese, rennet, which is an enzyme produced from the stomach of calves, salt, annatto (a vegetable color), powdered cellulose.
It has 110 calories of energy with 9 g of fat, 7 g of protein, 0 g of carbohydrates, 25 mg of cholesterol and 200 mg of calcium.
What is mild cheddar cheese?
Mild cheddar is a less aged cheese for about 2 to 3 months, a buttery flavor than strong cheddar. It has a milky and slightly acid taste. Mild cheddar is less in demand in your market than strong cheddar. The mild cheddar cheese due to the shorter age duration does not imply a high peptide content because the enzymes take less time to break down the proteins.
Soft cheese has a high moisture content, which makes it easier to melt than strong cheddar, as it can even melt easily on the palate. Mild cheddar cheese is smooth and smooth in texture due to its moist nature. Mild cheddar cheese is less spicy and somewhat sweet, but followed by a strong flavor with less bitterness in taste.
Soft cheddar cheese has a less acidic taste due to the low peptide breakdown of the dairy-flavored protein.
Pasteurized milk, rennet, sea salt, mesophilic starter culture, water without chlorine, raw milk.
It has 70 calories of energy with 6 g of fat content, 4 g of protein content, 1 g of carbohydrates, 15 mg of cholesterol and 121 mg of calcium.
- Strong cheddar is aged for a long time to enhance the bitter taste for about 12 to 24 months, while mild cheddar is aged for about 2 to 3 months for the dairy flavor.
- Strong cheddar cheese is bitter, spicy, and strong in flavor; On the other side of the coin, mild cheddar is somewhat sweet, milky, less spicy and bitter.
- Strong cheddar cheese has less moisture content; on the other hand, mild cheddar cheese has a high moisture content.
- Strong cheddar has a dry, brittle texture due to lower moisture content, while soft cheddar has a moist, soft, and smooth texture due to its high moisture content.
- Strong cheddar cheese is high in peptides due to the breakdown of proteins by enzymes; on the other hand, mild cheddar cheese has a low content of peptides due to the shorter aging time provided.
- Strong cheddar has a low meltability, while mild cheddar has a high meltability, it can easily melt on the palate.
- Strong cheddar cheese is of great nutritional importance as it contains approximately 110 calories of energy; On the other hand, mild cheddar cheese has less nutritional value as it contains 70 calories of energy.
- Strong cheddar cheese is high in fat and protein of about 9 g and 7 g, respectively; on the other hand, mild cheddar cheese has less fat and protein content of about 6 g and 4 g, respectively.
Strong cheddar is aged for approximately 12 to 24 months, which gives it a strong, tangy taste with a dry texture, while mild cheddar is aged for 2 to 3 months, which gives it a milky and less bitter taste. with a moist texture.