The main difference between science fiction and fantasy is that science fiction is almost related to real things and is based on technology while fantasy is not based on reality.
science fiction vs fantasy
Science fiction deals with technology and settings. Fantasy deals with magical events; they have no basis in reality and science. Science fiction contains speculative fiction set in a naturalistic universe. Fantasy is a subclass of uncertain fiction set in a non-naturalistic universe. Science fiction is a genre based on future scientific and technological advances. Fantasy is a genre that uses supernatural elements as a plot, theme, or main setting.
Science fiction has its importance and foundation in science. Fantasy not based on science and reality. Science fiction describes unlikely possibilities. Fantasy represents plausible impossibilities. Science fiction involves scientific concepts. Fantasy involves imaginary concepts. Science fiction can be about robots, space, and aliens. Fantasy speaks of something immortal. Science fiction is possible because it is based on facts; fantasy is not based on fact, so it is not possible. Science fiction shows things that could possibly take place in the real world. Fantasy is the realism of things that are unlikely to happen.
Science fiction does not use supernatural elements. However, fantasy uses magical or supernatural things. Science fiction has plots or themes based on technology. Fantasy has magical themes or plots. Science fiction can be possible and contrary to reality. Fantasy cannot be possible and is far from reality. In science fiction, stories are related to rational or reasonable things. In fantasy, stories that are not based on rational and logical things.
|Science Fiction Means Imagined Future Scientific Or Technological Advances||Imagining impossible and improbable things is known as fantasy.|
|real stuff||Things that don’t exist in real life|
|technology and science||unreal things|
What is science fiction?
Science fiction can be divided into different categories: hard science fiction, soft science fiction, cyber fiction, time travel, social science fiction, alternative fiction, military science fiction, superhero fiction, mystery fiction fandom, and community fiction. Science fiction deals with futuristic settings and plot themes such as time travel, alien life, space travel, parallel universe, and different futuristic scientific inventions.
In science fiction, we will talk about things that could happen in the real world. However, science fiction is a plausible theory and can be explained by science and logical reasoning. Science fiction categorized into hard science fiction and soft science fiction. Hard science fiction contains astrophysics, chemistry, etc. Soft science fiction contains sociology, economics, anthropology, etc.
In Webster’s New World Dictionary, science fiction is defined as “systematized knowledge derived from observation and study.” Science knows that things are real because they are observable and repeatable in the real world around us. The word science fiction is difficult to narrate correctly. Science fiction includes a wide range of concepts, themes, or plots.
In the opinion of Robert A. Heinlein, the definition of science fiction is realistic speculation with manageable future situations that are based on adequate awareness of the real world about its present and past, and knowledge of nature and its importance. Science fiction usually called science fiction. Science fiction is a content of literature that is imaginative but related to science or technology.
What is fantasy?
Fantasy is a genre that is used as a supernatural element as a main plot or theme. Most of the stories that belong to this genre take place in imaginary worlds, where supernatural and magical creatures exist. Fantasy is said to be one of the oldest genres of literature. Many myths, legends also belong to this genre of fantasy. However, modern fantasy fictions often belong to folklore and mythology. George and Martin’s song “ice on fire”, Tolkien’s hobbit Lord of the Ring, and the Lewis Chronicles and Rowling’s Harry Potter series are some of the popular works in this genre.
Fantasy is a genre of fictional universe. The roots of fantasy are in old traditions that emerged later as drama and literature. In the 20th century , it expanded to different media such as television, video games, graphic novels, and movies. Fantasy is different from other science fiction and horror categories only because of the lack of creative scientific themes. Fantasy is a category of imaginative fiction associated with adventure and magic, usually set in a world other than the real world.
Fantasy uses mystical elements or other incredible elements as a plot or theme. In the world of fantasy, magical brutes are influential. Many of the fantasy authors used mythology and folklore for inspiration. Another basic rule of the fantasy category is the absorption of some psychic things like magic and other supernatural things. Word Fantasy means to imagine; this could involve other special magical powers like dragons, unicorns, or a nonexistent best friend.
- Science fiction has its basis, while fantasy has no basis.
- Science fiction is possible; on the other hand, fantasy is not possible.
- Science fiction based on real events; conversely, fantasy is based on something wholly imaginary and not on fact.
- Science fiction is almost related to real things; on the other hand, fantasy is related to things that do not exist in this world.
- Science fiction has to do with technologies and science. However, fantasy is only about imagination.
- Science fiction themes run counter to reality, while fantasy uses supernatural forms and magic in its subject matter.
- Science fiction based on scientific concepts. Although fantasy based on imaginary concepts.
- Science fiction is possible; on the contrary, fantasy is impossible.
- Although science fiction is a theme or plan, while fantasy is future science
- Science fiction is the genre of the future; on the other hand, fantasy is an older genre.
- It is said that science fiction is possible because it is based on facts, while fantasy has no basis or roots.
- Science fiction is an unreal future that belongs to scientific or technological promotions, the greatest social or environmental changes. However, fantasy belongs to horror movies.
- Science fiction involves different laws or theories of science; on the other hand, fantasy means imagining the occurrence of fantasizing.
- Science fiction makes logical sense and contains settings and technologies about science, while in modern culture, fantasy is predominantly features of medieval nature.
- Science fiction is a new category of the last century; on the other hand, fantasy is an older category.
It is concluded that science fiction is a reality and fantasy is just imagination and magical thoughts.