Both Quicken and QuickBooks are accounting programs developed by Intuit. The purpose of both is the same to some extent, however, there are many differences between these two accounting software. The main difference between Quicken and QuickBooks is that Quicken is designed for individuals, which is why it is called personal finance management tools. QuickBooks is a bit advanced and is designed for small and medium businesses.
What is Quicken?
Quicken is personal finance management software for individuals and households developed by Intuit. Various versions of Quicken run primarily on Windows and Macintosh operating systems. Its previous version ran under DOS. There are various versions of Quicken for Windows which are Quicken Starter, Quicken Deluxe, Quicken Rental Property Manager, Quicken Premier and Quicken Home & Business as well as Quicken for Mac. By using this software the individual can organize their money. See all your money in one place and easily connect with banks and create a realistic budget. Sync data between devices, check balances, manage accounts and track purchases and much more anytime, anywhere.
What is QuickBooks?
QuickBooks is an accounting software package for small and medium-sized businesses developed by Intuit. It offers on-premises accounting applications as well as cloud-based versions that accept business payments, manage payment invoices, and payroll functions. It can be used by independent contractors, professional and field services, appointment-based businesses, retail businesses, e-commerce businesses, and non-profit organizations. You can also connect QuickBooks to apps you’re already using, like SafetyNet, Receipt Bank, PayPal, Shopify, and many more. Use QuickBooks and stay in sync with your bank, track your spending, send professional invoices, pay your employees, manage and pay bills, free mobile apps,
- Quicken is for personal and individual finance management, while QuickBooks is suitable for small and medium-sized businesses.
- QuickBooks is also used for business planning, while Quicken does not offer business planning, however, it does provide the ability to create budgets, reports, and charts.
- Quicken cannot be used to manage payroll and sales.
- QuickBooks integrates with MS Office.
- Quicken offers checkbook accounting that is not available in QuickBooks.
- By using Quicken, the user can track investments that are not available in QuickBooks.
- Quicken can be used to plan for college and manage household inventory that is missing from QuickBooks.
- Quicken is available for Windows, Mac, and online. QuickBooks is available for Windows worldwide and for Mac is available only in the US.
- Quicken has many versions such as Quicken Starter, Quicken Deluxe, Quicken Rental Property Manager, Quicken Premier, and Quicken Home & Business as well as Quicken for Mac. QuickBooks has a limited version which are QuickBooks Pro, QuickBooks Premier, and QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions.
- Quicken versions are less expensive than QuickBooks.