The main difference between Open University and Distance Education is that Open University is a university that gives open admissions plan, distance and online learning programs, and Distance Education is a learning method where students are not present in person on the site.
Open University vs Distance Education
Open University is a university that offers open admission policy, online and distance learning programs. Help or assist students to study, while at work, as they do not require students to study at a specific time. And distance education is a way of delivering education, in which the source of the information and the students are not physically present, as they are separated by time or distance or even both. In an open university, there are no associated or affiliated colleges and they are made up of study centers and institutes only; on the other hand, in distance education; the university can be an open university or a traditional university. Therefore, several colleges affiliated with the traditional university.
|open university||Long distance education|
|Open University is a university that provides open admission policy, online and distance learning programs.||Distance education is a type of learning provided by various universities to students who are not present on the site.|
|Open University based on providing higher education to those people who cannot enter the traditional university.||Distance education was based on the purpose of allowing access to education to those who cannot attend regular universities.|
|It is a kind of university.||It is a form of education.|
|In an open university, there are no associated colleges and it includes only study centers and institutes.||In distance education, the university can be an open university or a traditional university. Therefore, several colleges affiliated with the traditional university.|
An Open University is a university that provides open admissions policy, online and distance learning programs. The students provided the study materials for various courses through the study centers and online. The Open University plans studies so that students can complete them while working. There is no basic educational demand or age of consent for Open University studies.
Purpose of the Open University
- Maintain professional skills
- Spend a gap year productively
- launch a new career
- Learning about different disciplines
- Experience the joy of learning and gaining new knowledge
Open University Facilities
- The flexibility to choose a program regardless of your age.
- The flexibility of not attending class
- The flexibility of exam on demand
- The flexibility of the time frame
What is distance education?
Distance education also called e-learning and online learning, a form of education in which the main elements contain the physical separation of teachers and students during instruction and the use of various technologies to help student-teacher communication and student-student. Distance learning has traditionally focused on non-traditional students, such as full-time workers, military personnel, and non-residents or individuals in remote regions who are unable to attend classroom lectures. A growing number of universities offer distance learning opportunities. Distance education, like any education, establishes a learning group, sometimes called a learning community, that is made up of students, a teacher, and educational resources.
Characteristics of distance education
- It is not a self-paced or non-academic learning environment. Institutions may or may not also provide traditional classroom instruction, but are eligible for accreditation from the same agencies as those employing traditional methods.
- Geographic separation is inherent in distance education, and time can also separate students and teachers. Accessibility and ease are important advantages of this mode of education.
- Interactive telecommunications connect people in a learning group and with the teacher. Electronic communications, such as email, are used most of the time, but traditional forms of communication, such as the postal system, can also play a role.
- Distance education establishes a learning group, sometimes called a learning community, which is made up of students, a teacher, and educational resources, i.e. books, audio, video, and graphics.
- Open University offers open access for admissions through online and distance learning programs. On the other hand, Distance Education is a type of learning program provided by various universities to those students who are not present on the site.
- There are no faculties related or associated with an open university, while distance education provided by an open university or a traditional university; therefore, several colleges associated with the traditional university.
- The main objective of an open university is to provide education to those who cannot enter the traditional university, that is, people from the working class or who live in remote areas. On the other hand, the main purpose of distance education is to allow access to education to those who cannot attend regular universities, that is, students can study in their place and at any time.
- The main difference between Open University and Distance Education is that an Open University is a type of University while Distance Education is a type of education modality.
- In an open university, education is provided only at a distance, while distance education is provided in an open university or a private university or a regular university.
In conclusion, by the open universities hundreds of degree and diploma courses taught in the respective fields like undergraduate, postgraduate and masters. And in the mode of distance education, well equipped with learned faculties, where millions of students get the education. However, both systems suffer from pros and cons, but it comes down to how you take it as a boon or a bane.