Google and yahoo are two of the major internet and software industries striving to get their name to the top of the list. Both of them provide almost the same services like mail, search engines, weather forecast, news and other minor services so that their users can provide all their internet needs on one website. But Google has always been ahead of Yahoo by providing a little more convenience and better search results. The other thing that makes Google more competent is its vast products in the market. Without a doubt, Google is the number one search engine in the US and worldwide, while Yahoo achieves the second place globally. Google provides services like Google Books, Adwords, Admob which are missing from Yahoo .
What is Google?
Google was founded on September 4, 1998 by two classmates, Larry Page and Sergey Brin. Although the two were not good friends in the early days, they somehow managed to create a world leading Internet company. It all started with a research project given to them during their student life at Stanford University for research purposes, but they soon realized that the project they had started was now receiving a lot of positive responses. When this small project grew into a small business, the two students moved their business to a friend’s garage in Menlo Park, California. And from that day forward they grew bigger and bigger and today they are the world’s leading IT company providing services from search engines to an Android operating system.
What is Yahoo?
Yahoo was founded on March 1, 1995 by two graduate students Jerry Yang and David Filo at the same university where Google was founded, Stanford University. The website began with the name “Jerry’s Guide to the World Wide Web”. Basically, it was a directory of other websites organized in a hierarchical way. As the website grew, they renamed it “Yahoo!” They started the newly rebranded website as a search engine by selling 2.6 million shares and after gaining some popularity they started to emerge in various other internet related businesses. On March 8, 1997, Yahoo bought a communications company called Four11 and its webmail service and named it Yahoo! Mail. Step by step they grew and launched many other services like Yahoo Music, Yahoo Games,
- Google occupies the number 1 position in the Alexa ranking, which shows the popularity of Google among the masses, while Yahoo has the Alexa ranking of 5.
- Google has a 58.5% share (based on comScore research as of October 2007) while Yahoo! has a 23% market share (based on comScore research as of October 2007)
- Google’s social networking sites are Google+, Youtube, while Yahoo offers its users social networking sites called Tumblr and Flickr.
- Yahoo provides its users with a friendlier environment by providing different themes, while Google has yet to announce this feature.
- Google does not offer games to its users while Yahoo cares a little more about its users in the field of entertainment by offering different games.