This term comes from the Latin, Faunus, which means, the flatterer. He was, in Roman mythology, one of the most famous divinities. According to the most popular version, Fauno was the third of the kings of Lazio, he was the son of Pico, grandson of Saturno and father of Latino with the nymph Marica. Faunus originated agriculture and cattle raising and was an elegant hunter.
He is the god of fields and shepherds and is a prophetic deity. Taken as a rustic deity, he was the spirit of the woods, plains and fields. Over time, the existence of different fauns in addition to the original god was taken.
They were described as monsters, shaped like goats from the waist down, with a small tail at the tip of their spine, goat ears, and horns.
This term comes from the Greek Satyroi and they are male creatures that accompanied Pan and Dionysus, while they walked through the forest and the mountains. According to how they were narrated, they were related to an excessive sexual desire.
They were part of the Dionysian accompaniment that accompanied the god Dionysus. According to mythology, the satyrs come from Marón, Leneo and Astreo, the greatest satyrs and sons of Silenus. They are depicted as a half-man-half-ram creature, they have pointed ears and horns on their heads.
Their hair is too much, their nose flat, they have a goat’s tail and permanent priapism (continuous and painful erection of the penis). They are playful and mischievous creatures, but can become dangerous and violent if provoked.
Difference Between Faun and Satyr
- Satyrs are creatures from Roman mythology. They are defined as half man and half deer, although some references define them as half man and half goat.
- Satyrs are creatures from Greek mythology. They are related as half man and half goat.
- Satyrs have a lewd, crude and vulgar way of being.
- The fauns are beings with more style, finesse, grace and elegance.
- In the original paragraphs, the fauns have human-like legs.
- Satyrs possess hooves instead of goat feet.
- Fauns are referred to as delicate, innocent and attractive beings.
- The satyrs are presented as clumsy beings, with a lot of hair, small eyes, a flat nose and a large mouth.