Both Drupal and Joomla are free and open source content management platforms for publishing web content. Both are widely used by web developers, but both contain many differences. The main difference between Drupal and Joomla is that Drupal is good for eCommerce however it requires some technical coding while Drupal is also difficult but the most powerful CMS.
What is Drupal?
Drupalis a free and open source content management software written in PHP for creating personal blogs/websites for business applications. It was published in January 2001 and contains the main features common to content management systems including: account registration, menu management, RSS feeds, taxonomy, page layout customization and system administration. It can equally serve as a simple website, a single/multi-user blog/website, an Internet forum, or a community website providing user-generated content. The main feature of Drupal is that it is capable of running on any computing platform that supports both a web server capable of running PHP and a database to store content and settings. Additional Drupal features that the administrator can extend are: friendly URLs, OpenID support, multi-site support,
What is Joomla?
Joomlait is also a free and open source content management system (CMS) for publishing web content and developing powerful online applications. It is CMS that keeps track of books and stores them. The main advantage of using Joomla is that it does not require technical skills or previous knowledge to manage it. Joomla is used for corporate websites/portals, corporate intranets/extranets, magazines/newspapers/online publications, e-commerce and online reservations, government applications, small business websites, NGO websites, community portals, schools and churches and personal/family homepages. The Joomla framework allows developers to quickly and easily build: inventory control systems, data reporting tools, application bridges, customized product catalogs, integrated e-commerce systems, complex business directories, reservation systems, and communication tools. Joomla is based on PHP and MySQL.
- Drupal and Joomla are written in PHP and MySQL.
- Joomla is just a content management system (CMS), while Drupal is a CMS, content management framework, community, and blogging software platform.
- Drupal has free plugins, while Joomla also has more than 10,000 free plugins.
- Drupal license is GPLv2/GPLv3 while Joomla license is GNU General Public License.
- The size of Drupal is 11.8 MB. The size of Joomla is 28.8 MB.
- Drupal is best for large projects where versatility and scalability are important. Joomla is best for small to medium projects.
- Joomla is more flexible and easy to use compared to Drupal as Drupal needs more skills and technical knowledge to handle.
- Drupal has strong SEP capabilities compared to Joomla which has limited SEO capabilities.
- Joomla has more use compared to Drupal. It’s 8% of all websites worldwide compared to 5.5% for Drupal.
- Drupal is more secure than Joomla.
- Drupal was released in January 2001. Joomla was released on August 17, 2005.