The main difference between science and technology is that science is a process of obtaining knowledge about the universe, while technology is the use of this knowledge to create tools for the well-being of humanity.
Science vs Technology
Science and technology are the two terms that are used synonymously in our daily life, while there is a clear line of difference between them. Science is a system for obtaining knowledge about this universe and all the phenomena and their reasons that are occurring in it, such as why are the leaves green? And how animals breathe, etc. While technology is a process of using this knowledge in practice and forming tools to solve human problems or make our lives easier. In other words, science deals with our observations, theories, and principles, etc., while technology deals with processes, designs, or products.
|The system of obtaining knowledge about universal processes and their reasons is known as science.||The system of using knowledge or science for our own ends or to solve our problems is known as technology.|
|Science focuses on natural phenomena.||Technology focuses on understanding the needs of the environment.|
|It is a system for exploring new information.||It is used to obtain useful products using the laws of science.|
|Science does not change.||Technology is continually changing.|
|Science is always useful to us.||Technology can be helpful or harmful.|
|It is evaluated by observation, hypothesis and theory, etc.||It is evaluated through the synthesis of the design of the required tool.|
|Science is based on discoveries||The technology is based on inventions.|
|Science is used to make predictions about our observations.||Technology is used to make our work more comfortable or to solve our problems, etc.|
What is science?
The word “science” comes from Old French and is derived from the Latin word “Scientia”, which means knowledge. “Scientia” comes from “Scio” which means “I know.” Science is actually based on research. Man makes observations of all natural processes taking place around him and makes predictions about them. These predictions after going through experimentation became theory. So science is a system for obtaining knowledge about this universe. You realize how the natural phenomenon is taking place and what are its reasons, for example why the sun is yellow and how plants and animals breathe etc. Science is increasing our knowledge about our universe day by day and providing us with new questions for future research. .
Branches of modern science
- Natural Sciences: It is the branch of modern science that deals with the study of nature in a broad sense, for example, Biology, Physics and Chemistry, etc.
- Social Sciences: It is the branch of modern science that deals with the study of human behavior and societies, for example, psychology, sociology and physiology, etc.
- Formal science: It is the branch of modern science that deals with the study of abstract concepts, for example, Mathematics and Computer Science, etc.
What is technology?
The word “technology” is derived from a Greek word “τεχνολογία” – “techne”, “τέχνη” (“craftsmanship”) and “lodge”, “λογία” (“say”), also known as “science of craftsmanship” . Technology is the set of methods, skills, processes or techniques, etc. that are used to make tools or products for the welfare of human beings using the knowledge of science. Technology is based on inventions, that is, it focuses on the needs of the environment and designs the process or tool using the philosophy of science to overcome that problem. Technology makes life easier every day. He has made many inventions to relax our daily work. It has developed a more advanced economy. We can communicate and travel to far away places very easily through technology. It also plays an important role in treating diseases and many more. But, there are many technological processes of this type that are producing unwanted products, depleting our natural resources and spreading pollution as well. So technology can also be harmful.
- Science is a way of obtaining knowledge about our universe, while technology is the use of this knowledge to design processes that make life easier for us.
- Science is always useful to us, while technology has both good and bad aspects.
- Science is based on discoveries while technology is based on inventions.
- Science focuses on natural phenomena, while technology focuses on the needs of the environment.
- Science does not change as technology continues to change over time.
- Observations, predictions, and theories are used to evaluate science, while technology is evaluated by synthesizing the required product or tool design.
- Science is used to make predictions about our universe, while technology is used to solve our problems.
From the above discussion, it is concluded that science is a useful way of obtaining knowledge about the entire universe while technology is the use of this knowledge to solve our problems or to make our lives more peaceful than perhaps both useful or harmful.