The main difference between Dictionary and Thesaurus is that a Dictionary contains the meaning, etymology, spelling, part of speech and phonemes of the words while the Thesaurus contains synonyms and antonyms of the words.
Dictionary vs. Thesaurus
A dictionary provides the meaning, pronunciation, meaning and usage of the word in a particular language. A thesaurus provides the words that can be used in place of another word to avoid repetition. A dictionary is a book that contains the meaning, etymology, spelling, part of speech, and phonemes of words. A thesaurus is a reference book that contains synonyms and antonyms for words. In the dictionary, words are listed alphabetically, for example, starting from the alphabet A through Z. In a thesaurus, words are arranged alphabetically, conceptually, or thematically.
A dictionary defines a word. A thesaurus provides a list of the words chosen in each entry. Language learners often use dictionaries to find the meanings, parts of speech, pronunciation, and spelling of a word. The use of a thesaurus is shared among writers and entrepreneurs to find different words that best convey the message. The different types of dictionary are: English dictionary, language dictionary, bilingual dictionary, medical dictionary and geographical dictionary. A thesaurus has many types, for example student thesauri and esoteric thesauri.
A dictionary tends to give additional information about words such as their etymologies, phonetics, spelling, pronunciations, gender, and parts of speech. A thesaurus does not provide additional information about a word such as its etymology; instead, it contains information about the various forms of words, for example, adjective forms, simple forms, and adverbial forms. Dictionary usage is more common as compared to thesaurus usage.
|A book containing the meaning, etymology, spelling, part of speech and phonemes of words.||A reference book containing synonyms and antonyms of words.|
|Provides information about a language to a language learner.||Help the writer avoid repeating the same terms.|
|To find an unknown word.||Find a synonym of a word.|
|Meaning, definition, pronunciation, spelling, etymology, part of speech||Synonyms and antonyms|
|Alphabetical||Alphabetical, conceptual or thematic|
|Most used by people||less used by people|
|English dictionary, language dictionary, bilingual dictionary, field-specific dictionary||Student thesauri and esoteric thesauri|
What is the Dictionary?
The word dictionary is a noun. A dictionary is a book or electronic resource that provides information about a word. The information for each word in a dictionary includes the definition of the word (meaning or example), part of speech (noun, verb, adjective, etc.), spelling (exact spelling, possible alternatives), phonetics (pronunciation, expression of the word) and etymology (word origin, root).
Words in a dictionary are usually listed in alphabetical order. It makes it easy to search for the specific word. A dictionary is a tool that provides etymological and grammatical knowledge of the words of a specific language. It has different types. Some dictionaries show the pronunciation by international phonetic alphabet or phonemes, while others use the alphabets to make the pronunciation sounds. There are English dictionaries, bilingual dictionaries eg English to French dictionary, dictionaries for specialized areas eg medicine and geography.
Dictionaries are sometimes classified according to the level of their users. For example, a children’s dictionary omits words used by adults. In the same way, high-level dictionaries are meant for academics and adults that contain all the words along with their detailed information. Some of the dictionaries are limited to word meanings, while others explain word usages, parts of speech, etymology, and other aspects of a word. Also, a dictionary can be a general dictionary and a specialized dictionary. The specialized dictionary includes words related to specific fields, i.e. medicine, business, IT, etc.
What is the Thesaurus?
Thesaurus is a noun. A thesaurus is a reference book containing words of similar meaning. It also contains antonyms of the words. It tends to provide the words that can be used in place of another word to avoid repetition. Some of the Thesauruses also have phrases, clauses, and sentences with the words as examples. Help the reader with the use of the word in a specific context. The first modern English thesaurus is associated with the name of Peter Mark Roget. It was published in 1852.
The thesaurus is arranged alphabetically, conceptually, or thematically (words that have similar meanings are listed together). A thesaurus provides a list of a selection of words in each entry. It becomes familiar with the similarities between words and helps to choose the exact word that best fits the context. It is commonly used by writers to avoid monotony in a piece of writing. People belonging to professional fields, for example academics, take the help of Thesaurus to deliver high level information.
A thesaurus provides information on related words with the same connotation. However, synonyms in a thesaurus have the same connotation, while antonyms give the opposite meaning. A thesaurus has types, for example student thesauri and esoteric thesauri. A thesaurus also contains information on the various forms of words, for example, adjective forms, simple forms, and adverbial forms. Thesauri are the correct plural of Thesaurus, but thesauri are more common in their plural form.
- The help of a dictionary is needed to find an unknown word, while the help of a thesaurus is needed to find a synonym of a word.
- You can also find a dictionary in more than one language giving the meaning of a word in one language with equivalents in another language; on the other hand, a thesaurus usually does not come with this feature.
- A dictionary tends to give additional information about words such as their etymologies, phonetics, spelling, pronunciations, gender, and parts of speech; in contrast, a thesaurus does not provide additional information about a word.
- A dictionary is a book that contains the meaning, etymology, spelling, part of speech, and phonemes of words; On the other hand, a thesaurus is a reference book that contains synonyms and antonyms of words.
- A dictionary provides the meaning, pronunciation, significance, and usage of the word in a particular language; on the contrary, a thesaurus provides the words that can be used in place of another word to avoid repetition.
- The use of the dictionary is more common; on the contrary, the use of a thesaurus is less common.
- Dictionaries are often used by students of a language; Conversely, the use of a thesaurus is shared between writers and businessmen.
- In the dictionary, words are listed alphabetically in reverse; words are arranged in alphabetical, conceptual, or thematic order in a thesaurus.
- Dictionary types are English dictionary, language dictionary, bilingual dictionary, field-specific dictionary, while a thesaurus comes in student thesauri and esoteric thesauri.
- A dictionary defines a word; on the other hand, the thesaurus offers a list for the choice of words in each entry.
The dictionary and thesaurus are the reference books that provide information about words. Both terms are different from each other based on the type of information they provide.