The Shar Pei is of Chinese origin, but a few decades ago in the United States, with the arrival of some specimens, the breeding of the Shar Pei began, which is why today it is known as the Shar Pei of the American line and the Shar Pei of the Chinese line. In this sense, the differences between the two will be pointed out in this article after highlighting the characteristics of each of them.
Chinese Shar Pei
The Shar Pei of the Chinese line was originally a dog trained for combat, but today it has been educated as a companion dog. In the 1970s, the government of the People’s Republic of China imposed a series of high taxes on those who had this breed of dog, considering that they were not a productive source of food, so the breed almost became extinct. However, these taxes were reduced and the Shar Pei remained as one of the favorite companion dogs, since they are characterized by being faithful, noble, calm dogs, adaptable to any lifestyle and with a maintenance cost between low and a half.
The life expectancy of the Chinese Shar Pei is 7 to 10 years and physically it has the following characteristics:
- It has a rough, short and thick coat of the Horse Coat type (delicate coat, harder and shorter. It is the one that usually has more problems due to the folds of the skin).
- Its body is stylized and finer than the American Shar Pei.
- Its legs are straighter and higher, the head is not very large and the snout is somewhat elongated, it is a fast dog with light movement.
American Shar Pei
The Shar Pei of the American line was bred in that country from the 70s when a few specimens of the breed arrived in America and from the beginning they were educated as companion dogs. American Shar Peis are stockier, thicker dogs with considerably wider limbs. This is because they have thick bones, which makes them have a more pronounced head.
They are much less agile than those of the Asian line, so they have to be taken out more often. Regarding its physical characteristics we have to:
they are more robust, the legs are wider, the bone is wider and they have a large head but in proportion to the body.
- They have many wrinkles on the forehead but without covering the eyes.
- His neck is wide with more wrinkles.
- The type of hair of the American Shar Pei is Brush Coat (it is the intermediate, it does not measure more than 2 cm and it is softer) and Bear Coat (it measures more than 2 cm so it does not fit into the Breed standard).
- His movement is heavier but without becoming clumsy, doing a jog.
- The speed is usually less than Chinese dogs.
In conclusion, we can summarize that the differences between the Chinese Shar Pei and the American Shar Pei are as follows:
|Chinese Shar Pei||American Shar Pei|
|Its legs are longer and thinner.||Its legs are shorter and thicker.|
|His movement is faster and more agile.||His movement is slower and less agile.|
|His body is slim.||Features a robust body|
|Presents type of Horse Coat hair.||He has Brush Coat and Bear Coat hair types.|