The main difference between Cassia and Cinnamon is that Cassia is identified as Chinese cinnamon that originates from the inner bark of an East Asian tree, while cinnamon is the aromatic bark of the Cinnamomum tree from a Southeast Asian tree.
Cassia vs. Cinnamon
Cassia is extracted from the tree in southern China; on the other hand, cinnamon is an aromatic and rolled bark of a Southeast Asian tree. Cassia is one of the types of cinnamon and is known as Chinese cinnamon; On the other hand, cinnamon has two main types, and that is Cassia and Ceylon cinnamon.
Cassia cultivation is commonly seen in southern China. It is mainly exported to the United States and Asia; on the contrary, cinnamon is widely cultivated in the countries of Sri Lanka and southern India. It is mainly exported to Europe. Cassia is one of the most common and most widely used types of cinnamon in the world; on the other hand, cinnamon is used less around the world. Cassia identified by its dark reddish brown color and tall thickness; on the other hand, cinnamon is relatively fine and has a toasty brown color.
Cassia is shaped like double-sided roll sticks that are hollow inside; on the opposite side, Ceylon cinnamon is a stick in layered structure. Cassia has extraordinary amounts of cinnamaldehyde (C₆H₅CH = CHCHO) and coumarin; its regular use can be toxic. On the other side of the coin, cinnamon has less cinnamaldehyde and coumarin, and is less toxic for everyday use. Considering the flavor, cassia has a stronger and spicier flavor; on the other hand, cinnamon has a relatively mild flavor. Cassia is available at inexpensive prices compared to cinnamon; on the other hand, cinnamon is expensive.
|Cassia is a type of cinnamon that originates from the inner bark of trees in southern China.||Cinnamon is the inner bark of the “Cinnamomum verum” tree, which is native to Sri Lanka.|
|Double-sided roll sticks, hollow interior||Multilayer structures|
|Its flavor is sweet and spicy.||Its flavor is aromatic, warm and sweet.|
|Also know as|
|Chinese cinnamon||Ceylon cinnamon|
|Reddish brown to dark brown||Light brown to tan|
|South china||Sri Lanka and South India|
|United States and Asia||Europe|
|Abundantly used||Less used|
What is Cassia?
Cassia, also known as Chinese cinnamon, is the most abundant type of cinnamon and has its widespread use as a spice. It originates from the inner bark of trees in southern China. Some of the Cassia species are found in eastern and southern Asia. Cassia is shaped like a thick hollow stick that has a rough texture. It is dark brown to red in color and is the cheapest form of cinnamon. Its crust is thick; hence it is hard and hard to grind. Cassia is from Cinnamomum cassia or Cinnamomum aromaticum.
Cassia is grown in Burma, China, Vietnam, and Indonesia and is exported to the United States and Asia. Cinnamaldehyde is the main component of cinnamon. It is 95% of the Cassia oil. The aroma and spicy taste of cinnamon are due to this. Its higher quantity can be toxic due to the presence of cinnamaldehyde. Due to its intense spicy flavor, a large amount of Cassia gives it a bitter taste. However, it is suitable for grilled meat recipes. Cassia also contains coumarin which is a toxic compound. It damages the liver and kidneys.
- Aroma: stronger and spicier
- Flavor: sweet, spicy
- Texture: rough and uneven
- Color: reddish brown to dark brown
- Structure: double-sided roll sticks, hollow interior
What is cinnamon?
Cinnamon is one of the most common spices with its frequent use throughout the world in many recipes. There are two main types of cinnamon, namely Cassia and Ceylon cinnamon. It is the inner bark of a tree known as “Cinnamomum Zeylanicum Blume”. This plant is native to Sri Lanka and other parts of southern India. Ceylon cinnamon is also known as “true cinnamon.” It is from ‘Cinnamomum verum’, which is native to Sri Lanka. Cassia’s main market is the United States and Asia, and it is exported to Europe.
The color of Ceylon cinnamon is tan brown. Its inner bark is thin and contains multiple layers of soft layers. It is suitable for patients with diabetes as it helps to lower blood sugar. It has a delicate and sweet flavor with lighter notes of cloves. It provides an excellent flavor and aroma to pastries, halwas, cakes and desserts. Ceylon cinnamon is commonly available in the market, so it is more expensive than the typical Cassia cinnamon. Cinnamon contains 50-63% cinnamaldehyde which is responsible for its aroma and flavor. It also contains less amounts of coumarin, making it less toxic and suitable for regular use.
- Aroma: Fragrant, delicious
- Flavor: warm, aromatic and sweet
- Texture: smooth and uniform
- Color: light brown to tan
- Structure: layered structure
- Cassia is known as Chinese cinnamon which is the inner bark of the East Asian tree; Instead, cinnamon is the aromatic bark of the Cinnamomum tree from a Southeast Asian tree.
- Cassia tastes stronger and hotter; on the other hand, cinnamon is full of lighter and brighter citrus tones.
- Cassia cinnamon has a rough, thick crust that forms a few layers; conversely, cinnamon is thin and multi-layered.
- Cassia is one of the types of cinnamon and is known as Chinese cinnamon; On the other hand, cinnamon has two main types, and they are cassia and Ceylon cinnamon.
- Cassia is commonly seen in southern China; on the contrary, cinnamon is frequently cultivated in the countries of Sri Lanka and southern India.
- Cassia is mainly exported to the US and Asia; conversely, the cinnamon is shipped to Europe.
- Cassia is thick with a dark reddish brown color and a strong spicy flavor, while cinnamon is fine with a mild toasted brown flavor.
- Cassia is one of the most common and widely used types of cinnamon, which is available at affordable prices; on the other hand, cinnamon is less common and more expensive.
- Cassia has extraordinary amounts of cinnamaldehyde and coumarin; conversely, cinnamon has a lower amount of cinnamaldehyde and coumarin.
- Cassia is one of the most common and most widely used types of cinnamon in the world; on the contrary, cinnamon is used less.
Cassia and cinnamon are the two common spices with different origins. Both are the inner bark of trees that are native to different places. Cassia and cinnamon can also be called herbs that are different from each other based on their properties.